Ever wish that every time it was going to rain, you got notified by text? What if every time you were tagged in a Facebook photo, that photo got automatically saved to your Dropbox? Or whenever you took a photo with Instagram, it got integrated into your computer screensaver?
You need If This Then That (IFTTT), a free service that connects 60 popular networks, including Facebook, Twitter, GMail, and Evernote, and can do whatever you program it to do! Each task is called a “recipe,” and the site provides hundreds of ready-made concoctions to help you better integrate all your digital services. Here are some of the most clever, we think:
- Save all your photos from Instagram to Dropbox.
- Text to escape: text IFTTT to receive a custom phone call (to get out of a bad date, perhaps?).
- Craigslist search to email: been scouring Craiglist for a new bike or apartment or… anything at all? Let IFTTT do the searching for you and email you anytime a new post meets your search criteria.
- Update your Twitter avatar whenever you update your Facebook profile pic.
- Get weather texted to your phone daily, or just when there’s a particular forecast (like rain or snow).
- Schedule Tweets on your Gcal to auto-tweet at the right time.
- Populate a Tumblr with the videos you favorite on YouTube.
- Automatically Tweet new posts from your blog.
The options are nearly limitless, and its free, so it’s definitely worth playing around with. Automate your life and give yourself more time and better organization!